Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
I am always making up new recipes to use up my endless supply of Amish Friendship Bread Starter. This is a nice and hearty multigrain bread. I actually used 1/2 cup of Katzen's Harvest Grain Blend for Bread. . .that being said, I have written this recipe assuming you don't have a bucket of it in the pantry (as I do). Also feel free to sub out any of the grains for what you have on hand, just make sure it totals 8 T (i.e. rolled oats, quinoa, or increase amounts of the other ingredients). This makes about a 2 lb loaf.
- 1 cup hot tap water
- 1 cup amish starter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (feel free to put the entire little packet in)
- 1 tablespoon rye flakes
- 1 tablespoon wheat flakes
- 1 tablespoon whole oat groats (also known as oat berries)
- 1 tablespoon millet
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- Place ingredients in bread maker in the order suggested by your ABM manufacturer (mine is a Corner Bakery and it is supposed to go in as written above). Some are wet to dry and others are dry to wet.
- Cook on French Bread Setting on Light crust for best results.