Recipe by Boca Pat
I found this recipe in our local newspaper and have since made it several times. It's great if you have left over chicken. Now, instead of making my usual chicken soup, I always choose to make this instead.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled & diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken (can add more if you like)
- 3⁄4 cup cooked rice
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in large saucepan. Add carrots, celery, garlic, onions & apples. Cook, stirring frequently, about 10 minute.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp butter. Stir the flour, curry & nutmeg together & add to pot. Turn heat to low & cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, chick broth & bay leaf. Turn heat to med & bring mixture to boil. Partially cover, reduce heat & simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, rice, salt & cayenne pepper.
- Cook 15 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning. Just before serving, stir in the cream.