Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you're a fan of muffalettas, here's a great easy way to make them at home!
- 16 ounces pickled vegetables
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces French bread, loaf unsliced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 ounces salami (or combination) or 6 ounces pepperoni (or combination) or 6 ounces prosciutto, slices (or combination)
- 6 ounces provolone cheese slices
- 1 thinly sliced tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Drain juice of vegetables, reserving 2 Tbsp juice. Chop them small.
- Combine juice, vegetables, olives, garlic and oil.
- Horizontally split loaf of bread. Hollow out the inside of the top half, leaving a 3/4 inch thick shell.
- Top the bottom half with lettuce, meat, cheese, and tomato. Sprinkle the tomato with pepper. Stir the vegetable mixture and mound it on top of the tomato. Top with the top half of the bread and slice into six portions.
An all time fav of DH since he worked in the French Quarter during his college years. I made a couple of changes that shouldn't make a big impact on taste. I used Italian bread and omitted the tomato and lettuce. We also toasted the completed sandwich for a crustier crumb. Gotta go...my muffaletta and glass of wine is calling me!