Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe out of a children's cookbook my parents bought me when I was little - in fact it's the first cookbook I ever owned called, 'Many Hands' from UNICEF. It's in storage right now, but when I get it out of storage I'll post more recipes from it.
- 3 lbs short rib of beef, cut into 3-inch lengths (a whole chicken can be substituted)
- 1 quart water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 medium ripe plantains, peeled and sliced into rounds 1/4-inch thick
- 3 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered, then placed in a bowl of cold water to prevent discoloration
- 2 medium size onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine ribs, water and salt in heavy 3-4 qt casserole and bring to boil over high heat, skimming off foam and scum.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered, 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Add plantains, drained potatoes and onions and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender and potatoes are mashed easily.
- With tongs, transfer short ribs to a plate.
- Remove bones, cut fat off.
- Cut meat into 1/2" pieces.
- Puree soup return to casserole.
- Stir in butter and meat and simmer to reheat.
- Serve in soup plates.