Recipe by NVirginian
When I was fresh out of High School I worked for Mortensen's Greenhouse in Ohio and the owners elderly mother would bring this and other treats down to us to feast on. As far as I can tell this is the recipe or as close as I could get. The copy she gave me all those years ago is buried in a box in my pantry. When I get to it I'll edit the recipe if necessary. I insist you try this one! Be careful not to overbake so it will be nice and moist.
- 1 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cups cooking apples, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl combine oil,eggs and sugar and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients except for the apples and nuts.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the apples and nuts.
- Bake in a greased 13X9 inch pan or divide into 2 8X8 inch pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.Toothpick inserted in center should come out mostly clean.
- Do not overbake! The cake will continue to bake after removing from the oven.
- Cool, cut into squares and enjoy!