Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I lived in Pittsburgh, Mrs. Markovitz was my downstairs neighbor, landlord, and a great cook. My family ate these fish rolls at her house for dinner one night. When I asked her for the recipe she said she did not have one! She invited me to watch her make it the next time and this is roughly what I came up with.
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped small
- 1 stalk celery, chopped small
- 5 mushrooms, chopped small
- garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons oil, for sauteing vegetables, about
- 1 egg
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 lb flounder or 1 lb sole
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Chop all vegetables small or place in food processor and pulse a couple of times.
- Sauté vegetables in oil.
- Add seasoning.
- Add bread crumbs and brown lightly.
- Remove from fire.
- Add 1 egg and water and mix.
- Cut fish along backbone so in 2 strips.
- Gently flatten with a rolling pin.
- Place a large Tbspn of stuffing at one end of fish and roll.
- Place seam side down in pyrex pan.
- Continue until you run out of fish or stuffing.
- Mix topping and generously pour over all rolls.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.