1/1 Photo of Mrs Irving's Delicious Shortbread - Anne of Green Gables
Diana #2's Note:
Taken from "The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook", written by Lucy Maud Montgomery's granddaughter Kate Macdonald. I am posting this as it appears in the original book, which was written as a tribute to her father Stuart Macdonald (Montgomery's son). The recipes were written with precise instructions, geared for young cooks. All recipes were apparently tested by a 12 year old cook, with perfect results. Quote from the book: "Of course I'll stay to tea. said Anne gaily. I was dying to be asked. My mouth has been watering for some more of your grandma's delicious shortbread ever since I had tea here before." (from Anne of Avonlea, XIX) Other recipes are available in a cookbook prepared by chef #756627 - book #243014
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You Will Need:.
- 2large mixing bowl.
- 3electric mixer.
- 4measuring cups.
- 5measuring spoons.
- 6medium mixing bowl.
- 8extra flour for dusting.
- 9rolling pin.
- 10cookie cutters.
- 11metal spatula.
- 12cookie sheet.
- 13extra sugar for sprinkling.
- 14oven mitts.
- 15Preheat the oven to 350*.
- 16In the large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the electric mixer until it is soft, smooth and fluffy.
- 17Add the icing sugar, a little at a time, and beat until smooth.
- 18Measure and add the flour, salt, and baking powder to the medium mixing bowl. Mix with the fork.
- 19Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until well mixed.
- 20Dust the rolling pin and a clean place on the counter with the extra flour. Turn the dough onto the floured surface and roll it out into a large circle - about 1/4 inch thick.
- 21With the cookie cutters, cut the dough into any shapes you like.
- 22With the metal spatula, lift the shortbreads onto a greased cookie sheet. Place them about 1/2 inch apart. Prick each shortbread twice with a fork and sprinkle with sugar.
- 23Bake the shortbreads for 20 - 25 minutes until they turn light brown around the edges.
- 24With oven mitts, remove the cookie sheet from the oven. With the metal spatula, immediately lift the shortbreads onto a plate.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs Irving's Delicious Shortbread - Anne of Green Gables
Serving Size: 1 (14 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.9
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 47.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 0.7 g