The Mediterranean flavours of mozzarella, tomato and basil blend beautifully to make this a flavourful and attractive quiche. You could use an unbaked pie shell rather than dough- this is just how I make it. If your quiche pan is tall, you may like to increase the egg and cream mixture in a ratio of 4 eggs: 1 cup cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Lay the sheet of pastry dough over a 9-inch quiche pan, pressing the dough gently into the crimped edges. Cut away any excess dough so the pastry is level with the top of the pan.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork.
- Lay half the sliced tomatoes evenly over the pastry. Scatter half the cheese and chopped basil over the tomatoes. Repeat with the rest of the tomatoes, cheese and basil.
- Mix the eggs and cream together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour carefully over the other ingredients in the pastry shell, leaving a little space for the mixture to rise slightly in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the egg mixture is cooked and set.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve hot or cold!