Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
The Mediterranean flavours of mozzarella, tomato and basil blend beautifully to make this a flavourful and attractive quiche. You could use an unbaked pie shell rather than dough- this is just how I make it. If your quiche pan is tall, you may like to increase the egg and cream mixture in a ratio of 4 eggs: 1 cup cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Lay the sheet of pastry dough over a 9-inch quiche pan, pressing the dough gently into the crimped edges. Cut away any excess dough so the pastry is level with the top of the pan.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork.
- Lay half the sliced tomatoes evenly over the pastry. Scatter half the cheese and chopped basil over the tomatoes. Repeat with the rest of the tomatoes, cheese and basil.
- Mix the eggs and cream together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour carefully over the other ingredients in the pastry shell, leaving a little space for the mixture to rise slightly in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the egg mixture is cooked and set.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve hot or cold!
Beautiful quiche! Easy to make and great for brunch or anytime.
I used egg beaters and fat free half and half....I should have layed my tomatoes on paper towels before putting them in pie crust as mine was a little runny...but the taste was superb so I will be making this often...great recipe and easy...
This was delicious - rich, creamy and very flavorful. From the other reviewers, I decided to add a bit of onion powder, sprinkled over the tomatoes before I layered the cheese. I also added a bit of fresh ground parmesan to the top before baking. It came out really good, crispy on the top and ooey-gooey on the inside, but firm - DH loved it and so did I, he just didn't like the fat content !! I will try this again, cutting down on the cream a bit and maybe trying it with different vegetables like asparagus, artichokes or roasted red peppers. Thanks for posting - this one goes into the keeper cookbook! Made for ZWT7 - Italy, and the HOT PINK LADIES!