Recipe by Mia in Germany
Originally, moussaka is made with béchamel sauce. To have a gluten and cow's milk free moussaka, I came up with this one. I used goat's milk yogurt but will post it with normal yogurt. You can also use creamy Greek yogurt. In place of the pecorino, you can use parmesan cheese. If you don't have to be gluten free, you can use regular wheat flour in place of the rice flour and cornstarch.
Top Review by threeovens
I've never had moussaka before so I don't know what is supposed to be like, but this was gooood! I liked the lightness of the yogurt sauce (I only used potato starch, no rice flour). This is true comfort food, now I see why there are over 150 recipes for it in the database.
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 473.18 ml canned tomatoes
- 473.18 ml yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 56.69 g pecorino cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml beef broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml rice flour
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 large eggplant
- 6 medium potatoes
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes, until nearly done. Peel and cut into 1/3 inch slices.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After ten minutes, pat eggplant slices dry, lightly oil them and spread on a paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from oven.
- Mince garlic.
- Brown ground beef, season with salt and pepper to taste, add minced garlic, beef broth and canned tomatoes. Let simmer for 5 minutes and remove from stove.
- Combine yogurt, eggs, rice flour and cornstarch, season with salt and pepper to taste. I used about 1/4 teaspoon salt for 2 cups of yogurt, but you might need less, depending on how salty your beef broth is.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees.
- Grease oven proof casserole dish with olive oil, layer first with one layer eggplant slices, then 1 layer potato slices, then half if the meat. Pour half of the yogurt sauce over meat layer. Repeat layers, top with rest of the yogurt sauce, then top with grated pecorino or parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with green salad as a side.