Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dish has alot of steps, but the results are worth it.
- 2 lbs eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 lbs ground lamb or 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced (more if you like)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil; place in a large skillet over medium heat and brown on both sides.
- Drain; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook ground meat, half at a time, until browned.
- Cook onion and garlic with the second batch of meat; drain off fat.
- Return meat mixture to skillet and add the tomato sauce, wine, parsley, the 3/4t.
- salt, oregano, and the 1/4t.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Cool mixture slightly and stir about 1/2c.
- of the meat into the 1 beaten egg; stir meat and egg mixture back into remaining meat mixture in the skillet.
- Next, melt the butter in a medium saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Add milk all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook for 1 minute more.
- In a medium bowl, beat the 3 eggs; gradually stir the thickened milk mixture into the eggs.
- In a 3-quart rectangular baking dish arrange half of the eggplant slices.
- Spread the meat mixture over the eggplant slices and top with the remaining eggplant slices.
- Pour the hot egg/milk mixture over all; top with parmesan cheese and sprinkle with additional cinnamon, to taste.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until edges are bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares.