Prep 40 mins
Cook 17 mins
I found the recipe on a blog called "Nothing But Country," and I've made a few additions to suit my needs.
- 510.29 g box lemon cake mix
- 96.38 g box lemon pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 295.73 ml Mountain Dew soda
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 0.19-0.32 ml yellow food coloring
- 946.36 ml confectioners' sugar
- 236.59 ml salted butter (room temp)
- 28.39 ml Mountain Dew soda
- 7.39 ml lemon juice
- 7.39 ml lime juice
- 0.19-0.32 ml neon green food coloring
- Mix cake mix, pudding and eggs well.
- Add in your oil to the batter and mix for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in your mountain dew soda and mix for another minute.
- Add to cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 13-17 minutes (or until toothpick inserted comes out clean).
- Allow time to cool before frosting.
- To make frosting, beat your butter well till smooth, slowly add in 1 cup at a time of confectioners sugar and your lemon juice & mountain dew.
- Add all of your sugar and check for thickness of the frosting. If it is too thick add a teaspoon at a time of mountain dew till you reach the correct consistency to pipe or frost your cupcakes.
Definitely not impressed with the icing BUT absolutely LOVE the cupcakes! So, next time I will either use store bought lemon icing or use a different recipe for homemade icing. Otherwise, a hit with the kids and family.
My 16-year-old daughter made these tonight and they were a huge hit. They were light and moist and tasted great. They don't have a strong mountain dew taste, but a great flavor!
As a Beginner baker who usually has lots of problems this recipe was super easy to follow, however I will say that they are not very "mountain dew" flavoured. It's more of a Lemon Lime flavour which to most people is kinda mountain dew-ish, but did not pass my panel of experts :P. The other thing I would say is for me I didn't like the instruction to "Add to cupcake liners" in regards to filling the batter into the tins, the batter rises quite a bit so I would suggest half full or 3/4 at most. I also don't like traditional icing so I used a packaged cream cheese frosting instead and added the mountain dew and Lemon/Lime juice. It turned out much stronger in the Soda flavour than the cupcakes I found. But I had more than half leftover. I think this Recipe would be great for kids because the steps are super simple and it doesn't take long to make. I've tried 3 other recipes which were from scratch, none of which worked out so I definitely say this is a winner on taste, and simplicity!