Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is thick with tiny bits of tomato in the soup. As the name implies, it came from a book called Mountain Breeze Cooking.
- 22 lbs tomatoes
- 1 bunch celery
- 10 medium onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coarse salt
- 1 lb butter (not margarine)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Cook tomatoes, celery and onions for 2 or 3 hours until soft enough to be pressed through a cone sieve.
- Add sugar, salt and butter.
- Using a couple cups of soup mixture, stir into flour to make paste.
- Add paste and seaoning back to mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Ladle into sterile quart jars; cap and seal; water bath for 20 minutes.
im always glad to find someone else who likes to can thanks for posting dee