Recipe by emtpixie
I created this recipe because I wanted something different. I was tired of the same old generic tuna salad and wanted something fairly healthy and cold for dinner on a hot summer evening. So here it is, enjoy!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
When I made this recipe I cut the ingredient amounts in half & still had enough of this great tasting salad for 2 meals for the 2 of us! For me the sweet pickle relish wasn't optional & for the 2nd meal I included the shredded cheese as well & I especially enjoyed the use of the sweeter onion! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 6 (6 -8 ounce) cans light chunk tuna in water
- 8 tablespoons regular mayonnaise or 8 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sweet relish (optional)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium vidalia onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into half circles
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen, thaw if frozen)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- lettuce leaves or spinach leaves, to serve over
- 3 cups dry medium pasta shells
- salt and black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta to desired doneness according to package directions.
- Drain well and rinse thoroughly in cold water.
- Dice celery and onion.
- Cut carrots into"half circles".
- Open tuna cans and drain well.
- Scoop tuna out into a large mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise,salt,pepper and lemon juice to tuna and mix well.
- Add relish, if using, and mix well.
- Add celery, onions, carrots, and peas to tuna mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Add pasta to tuna and vegetable mixture and gently mix well with a large rounded spatula or similar utensil to avoid tearing pasta.
- Wash desired amount lettuce or spinach leaves and pat dry between paper towels.
- Place lettuce or spinach leaves on serving plates or in bowls and top with desired amount of tuna salad.
- Hint: an ice cream scoop works very well for scooping the tuna salad and making a nice looking dish.
- Top with shredded cheese, if using.