Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Please use Morton's Steakhouse Cajun Seasoning for Morton's Steakhouse Cajun Seasoning. This recipe comes from Morton's Chef Ben Ornelas. I have modified his recipe because he uses 4 3/4 C oil for 6 steaks and I have found that 1 C oil for marinade is sufficient for home cooks.
- 1 cup cajun seasoning, Morton (see recipe description for making) or 1 cup other cajun seasoning
- 6 (16 ounce) rib eye steaks, each about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 cup vegetable oil, such as canola or 1 cup safflower oil
- Put the Morton's Cajun seasoning in a large, shallow glass or ceramic pan. Press each side of the steaks into the seasoning to cover completely.
- Remove the steaks and lightly pound each three to four times with a perforated meat mallet or small heavy skillet to soften but not flatten more than a little. Discard any remaining seasoning in the pan.
- Pour the oil into the pan and add the steaks one by one. Flip over. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. Alternatively, marinate the steaks in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags.
- When you are ready to cook the steaks, remove them from the oil and let the oil drip off to remove the excess oil. The oil can flare on the grill or in the broiler.
- Set the steaks aside for 30 to 60 minutes at room temperature and grill the steaks to your liking.