Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
This seems like it would be a brilliant summer salad - bright pungent, sweet & salty but not heavy. Plan to serve with a simply roasted pink snapper (catch of the day in the fridge) & lightly toasted fresh pitas - summer dining at its best. Received in email from gourmet-recipes-from-around the world, thanks crazee_samoan!
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 large oranges
- 3⁄4 cup green olives
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa (middle eastern store, hot sauce)
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- dill sprigs, to garnish
- Heat a small heavy frying pan, add the cumin seeds and dry-fry until fragrant. Tip into a grinder and grind to a powder.
- Remove the zest from 1 of the oranges with a zester and set aside. Peel the oranges with a sharp knife, carefully removing all the pith. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut out the segments from the oranges and discard any seeds. Put the oranges and olives into the bowl.
- Whisk or shake together the oil, Harissa and roast cumin. Add salt to taste, then pour the dressing over the oranges and olives and toss together.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves in a serving bowl. Add the orange and olive mixture. Garnish with the reserved orange zest and dill sprigs and serve.