Moroccan Fish Baked in Tomato-Cilantro Sauce
- Cut fish into serving size pieces about 1 inch thick.
- Soak fish in wine, milk, or lemon juice. Then dust with flour. Followed by a dip in beaten egg.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium to high heat and when it is almost smoking add a few pieces of fish. Cook the fish, a few pieces at a time for 2-3 minutes each side. (The fish will finish cooking later.) Remove each piece as it is cooked and set aside.
- When all the fish is done, discard the frying fat and wipe the pan out with paper towels. Add remainng 2 tablespoons of oil to pan and over medium-low heat gently cook the onion and garlic until soft but not brown, about 10-15 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have given off their juices ad start to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and cilantro. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange fish pieces in a shallow baking or gratin dish and cover with sauce. Bake until fish is thoroughly cooked and the sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes.