Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted for ZWT 6. Chorba is a soup, like the minestrone, but has lots of flavor. It is tomato based with chickpeas and spices.Some variations use vermicelli instead of chickpeas. This is a good comfort food that is very popular during Ramadan in the Middle East.
- 1 lb lamb loin chops or 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 onions, finely minced
- 3 tomatoes, peeled seeded, then crushed
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 medium sized potatoes, chopped
- 2 turnips, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped very fine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans or 1 1⁄2 cups garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
- Place meat and veggies(except tomatoes) in a large saucepan. Add about 10 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Be very gently and don't stir vigorously. You want the flavor to escape the tomatoes slowly.
- Add chickpeas, spice and lemon juice. Slowly stir.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 30-35 minutes covered or until meat and chickpeas are done.