Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I had this at a potluck and it was drop-dead delicious! A great balance of sweet and spice! I know there are lots of Moroccan Chicken recipes here on 'Zaar, but this one seems a little different to the rest. There are quite a few ingredients, but it is actually very simple to do. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups garbanzo beans (1 can)
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup almonds or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine the first 10 ingredients (orange juice through to black pepper.)This will be the marinade for the chicken.
- Put the marinade in a plastic zip lock bag.
- Cut the chicken into chunks.
- Add the chicken to the zip lock bag. Refrigerate and marinate 4 to 24 hours.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in a casserole dish.
- Add the chicken and marinade and mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
Outstanding! I used chicken breasts instead of thighs. Did not have fresh parsley or nuts on hand, so omitted those. Will make this again!
This was worth the wait to make, Terrific and easy to bake! Wasn't intimidated by adding a date! The recipe is really great! Combined 4 thighs and 2 breasts too, Next time will use just white meat, TRUE! 3/4 cups dates, 1/2 cups almonds I used today! Also added 6 kalamata olives...this recipe is here to stay! THANKS!
I made this for my husbands 50th birthday dinner. It was a big hit. We enjoyed it so much that we are thinking about making it on New Years eve! The only thing I will change for the next time is using skinless boneless chicken breast instead of the thighs. Do you have a special rice dish that you serve with this? Happy 2008!