Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Fragrant with aromatic spices, this colourful carrot salad makes an appetizing, easily prepared starter or side dish.
- 1 lb carrot, cut into thin sticks
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Put the carrots and garlic in a saucepan with enough water to just cover. Add a little salt and bring to the boil. Simmer briskly for 5-7 minutes until tender but not soft.
- Drain, then tip into a mixing bowl. Crush the garlic cloves and add them to the carrots. Stir in the oil, vinegar, cumin, paprika and 1 tablespoon of the cilantro while still hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle over the rest of the cilantro. Serve hot, cold or at room temperature depending on what you're serving with it.
These were nice. Tasted right after mixing and decided to go with the make ahead and serve at room temperature option listed in step three. Made as written using baby carrots. Thanks for the post.
The other members of my family won't eat cooked carrots. That's all right with me, since it meant I had this deliciously different dish all to myself! I halved the recipe and used tiny baby carrots. The seasonings all complement the carrots beautifully. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 6 Vegetarian Challenge.
This was different! I wasn't too sure at first but ended up adding a little more salt, then it was better. DH loved it and especially the garlic, which he piled onto his carrots. I did not have cilantro so that was omitted from our version. It is now on my shopping list so next time I can make it proper! Thanks!!