Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
submitting for ZWT.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 whole skinless chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs attatched)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups large pitted prunes
- In a 5 qt pot, heat 2 tbs oil over med-high heat.
- Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 3 chicken legs in pot and cook, turning once, until browned; about 10 minutes total.
- Transfer to plate and repeat with remaining chicken and oil. Set chicken aside.
- Add onion and 1/4 cup water to pot and cook, stirring to loosen browned bits on bottom.
- Add turmeric, ginger and cinnamon and cook, stirring occasionally until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot. Add 2 cups water and half the prunes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through and very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Tranfer chicken to platter and cover tightly with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining prunes to pot and raise heat to high.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes more.
- Top chicken with sauce to serve.