Recipe by Chef Roni
This stew smells wonderful. It blends the flavor of garlic, cinnamon, cumin and orange peel, and makes an easy, exotic dinner.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I'm sorry, but this was a recipe that we couldn't eat. We had to throw it out & make tomato soup instead. I think my son described it best as a "meaty cinnamon roll". This is only our third tagine & I'm sure it's personal preference.
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive is best)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 slices orange rind (4 inch)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 carrots, cut inot 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch sticks (you may substitute sweet potato for the carrots)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat the meat with the flour in a large bowl or large plastic bag.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven brown the meat in very hot oil about 10 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir into the pan the undrained tomatoes, water, cinnamon sticks, orange peel, garlic, cumin and sugar.
- Simmer covered about 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots (or sweet potato) and cook covered until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add the chick peas and cook until heated through.
- Serve over couscous.