This is a healthy frittata from Mark Bittman's New York Time's column) with more vegetables than eggs. You can use whatever veggies you like or have on hand. If you use asparagus or broccoli, parboil them first; spinach works well, chop and cook it until dry. As in a conventional frittata, cook the eggs slowly, so they stay tender. If the top remains runny, run it under the broiler. Serves 2 to 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, sliced (optional)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 -6 cups of any raw vegetables or 4 -6 cups barely cooked vegetables, chopped or sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon mint leaves or 1 teaspoon any other herbs
- 2 -3 eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Put olive oil or butter in a skillet (preferably nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron) and turn heat to medium. When fat is hot, add onion, if using, and cook, sprinkling with salt and pepper, until it is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vegetables, raise heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften, from a couple of minutes for greens to 15 minutes for sliced potatoes. Adjust heat so vegetables brown a little without scorching. (With precooked vegetables, just add them to onions and stir before proceeding.).
- 2When vegetables are nearly done, turn heat to low and add herb. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- 3Meanwhile, beat eggs with some salt and pepper, along with cheese if you are using it. Pour over vegetables, distributing them evenly. Cook, undisturbed, until eggs are barely set, 10 minutes or so; run pan under broiler for a minute or 2 if top does not set. Cut into wedges and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for More-Vegetable-Than-Egg Frittata (Mark Bittman)
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.0
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 35.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: