Recipe by mollypaul
A traditional Christmas cookie delicious at any time of year. Chilling time not included in preparation time. From the Pennsylvania dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 8 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups butter or 2 cups shortening
- 1 quart molasses
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, soda, salt and spices together.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Work in the butter or shortening with a pastry blender or two knives.
- Add molasses and vinegar; mix thoroughly.
- Roll very thinly on a floured board and cut out with fancy cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350F for ten minutes.