Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate (5 squares)
- 1⁄2 lb butter (2 sticks) or 1⁄2 lb margarine, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 3⁄4 cups light brown sugar, packed (white sugar is also OK)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour (use 3/4 cup for fudgier brownies)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small banana, ripe and mashed
- 2 -4 tablespoons black coffee, strong
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or anything else)
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently melt the chocolate. Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Stir constantly as you drizzle in the melted chocolate. After all the chocolate is in, beat well for a minute or two.
- Stir in flour and possible embellishments.
- Mix just enough to blend thoroughly.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center come out clean.
- Cut into squares while still hot, then allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, if you can wait that long.
The best brownies ever!! Moosewood restaurant offers them for dessert every night because they are so good. I use a tablespoon of dry instant coffee and 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips as an addition to the batter. I undercook mine 3 minutes so that they are extra gooey!!
The squishiest, most chocolatey brownies I've ever made- highly recommended!