Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate (5 squares)
- 1⁄2 lb butter (2 sticks) or 1⁄2 lb margarine, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 3⁄4 cups light brown sugar, packed (white sugar is also OK)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour (use 3/4 cup for fudgier brownies)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small banana, ripe and mashed
- 2 -4 tablespoons black coffee, strong
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or anything else)
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently melt the chocolate. Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Stir constantly as you drizzle in the melted chocolate. After all the chocolate is in, beat well for a minute or two.
- Stir in flour and possible embellishments.
- Mix just enough to blend thoroughly.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center come out clean.
- Cut into squares while still hot, then allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, if you can wait that long.