1/3 Photos of Montezuma's Hot Chocolate Sheet Cake
This is a rich chocolate cake with just a hint of heat. This is totally my own recipe. I originally started with just a chocolate sheet cake recipe that I wanted to spice up a little for something different. Then I remembered that the Mayan's "hot" chocolate was actually drunk cold and had been mixed with spices. It was Montezuma (1466-1520) who introduced Hernam Cortes to his favorite drink 'chocolatl' served in a golden goblet. And it was the fact that Montezuma consumed his "chocolatl" before entering his harem that led to the belief it was an aphrodisiac. :D The very first chocolate drink recipe ever published was in 1631 and called for chillies, almonds, hazlenuts, vanilla beans, cinnamon and anise among other things. I combined the two recipes and played around until I got the flavor I like. Note: This does call for almonds and hazelnuts. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
sheet c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or 2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon anise flavoring (optional)
- 1 cup toasted crushed almonds
- 1 cup toasted crushed hazelnuts
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- 3Stir in the cocoa and coffee, then water.
- 4Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and spices.
- 6Add cocoa mixture; mix well.
- 7Stir in 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, eggs, anise and vanilla.
- 8Pour into greased 15 x 10 jelly roll pan.
- 9Bake for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- 11In a small saucepan, melt the butter; stir in the cocoa, coffee, and cinnamon.
- 12Add the remaining sweetened condensed milk; stir in confectioners sugar.
- 13Spread on the warm cake.
- 14Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- 15Note: If the icing is too thin for your taste, it's simple to add more cocoa or confectioners sugar until you reach the consistency wanted. Or, if it's too thick just add a bit of milk. Also, if you decide to do away with the coffee (in the cake or the icing), just replace it with cocoa. :D.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Montezuma's Hot Chocolate Sheet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 22
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.7
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.0 mg
- Sodium 245.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 30.4 g
- Protein 7.1 g