Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A wonderful casserole that is very versatile! You can serve this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Prep time does not include overnight refrigeration time.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 18 -20 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 10 ounces ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 large eggs
- 3 cups packed grated gruyere cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or non-fat)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Generously butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Line bottom with half of bread slices, cutting to fit.
- Top with ham, then 2 cups of cheese.
- Top with mushrooms.
- Add enough remaining bread in single layer to cover.
- Whisk eggs, milk, 1 tablespoon thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let sit 30 minutes while preheating oven to 350.
- Uncover baking dish.
- Bake until puffed and golden, about 1 hour.
- Mix remaining cup of cheese and 1 tablespoon thyme; sprinkle on top.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers are equally as good re-warmed the next day in the microwave.
Fantastic flavor, very custard-like and wonderfully rich. Thanks!