Recipe by boys4christine
Monte Cristo Sandwich prepared with tempura batter. The best way to make this yummy sandwich.
- 8 slices sweet Hawaiian bread
- 8 slices honey-roasted ham
- 8 slices smoked turkey
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 cups tempura batter
- 8 teaspoons raspberry jelly
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Leave the slices of bread out to make them stale or toast slightly.
- Assemble the sandwiches with a slice of bread, a slice of turkey, a slice of ham, a slice of cheese, a slice of ham, a slice of turkey, and the other slice of bread.
- Secure with toothpicks (or I like to use raw spaghetti, so I don't have to worry about taking them out).
- Heat oil (there should be enough to submerge the sandwich).
- Make the tempura batter according to the box directions. (it is VERY important that you use ice cold water, you can even add ice cubes to the batter).
- Dip the assembled sandwiches one at a time into the batter and place into the hot oil, turning over and cooking until lightly browned.
- Place 2 tsp jelly on each sandwich and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- If you are feeling really adventurous you can make french toast with the bread first and then assemble the sandwiches with it.