Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Monte Cristo Sandwich prepared with tempura batter. The best way to make this yummy sandwich.
Make and share this Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- Leave the slices of bread out to make them stale or toast slightly.
- Assemble the sandwiches with a slice of bread, a slice of turkey, a slice of ham, a slice of cheese, a slice of ham, a slice of turkey, and the other slice of bread.
- Secure with toothpicks (or I like to use raw spaghetti, so I don't have to worry about taking them out).
- Heat oil (there should be enough to submerge the sandwich).
- Make the tempura batter according to the box directions. (it is VERY important that you use ice cold water, you can even add ice cubes to the batter).
- Dip the assembled sandwiches one at a time into the batter and place into the hot oil, turning over and cooking until lightly browned.
- Place 2 tsp jelly on each sandwich and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- If you are feeling really adventurous you can make french toast with the bread first and then assemble the sandwiches with it.