1/4 Photos of Mom's Thai Fried Rice
This is as close to my mom's recipe as I can get with actual measurements since she eyeballs the ingredients and never measures. It is a "classic" version, and not the spicy or pineapple version you so often see in Thai restaurants. She is a native of Thailand and owned her own fantastic Thai restaurant for many years. This recipe is one of my favorites because it is so easy. The key is to use leftover, cold, jasmine rice and Thai fish sauce ONLY, no soy sauce or it will be Chinese fried rice. Serve this with Nam Prik Nam Pla Sauce Nam Prik Nam Pla (Traditional Thai Sauce) to add a little spice and something extra to this dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups cooked cold jasmine rice (cold rice is essential so the grains will not stick together when stir frying)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cloves freshly minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts (its easiest to get thin slices if the meat is still partially frozen) or 1 1/2 cups lean pork (its easiest to get thin slices if the meat is still partially frozen) or 1 1/2 cups beef, thinly sliced (its easiest to get thin slices if the meat is still partially frozen)
- 2 eggs
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar (table sugar is fine if you can't find palm sugar)
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (no substitutes)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (not traditional but I like to add them anyway)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1Heat peanut oil in a wok or large skillet over medium high heat.
- 2While pan is warming, toss the cold rice with your hands, making sure to separate the grains from any clumps.
- 3Add the garlic to the heated wok, and toss until fragrant and slightly golden.
- 4Add chicken, beef, or pork and stir fry for about 1 minute.
- 5Push the meat and garlic up the sides making a well in the middle and add eggs.
- 6Scramble eggs for 1 minute in middle of pan then, add green onions and peas and incorporate all ingredients together, stir frying for another minute.
- 7Add rice, turning over rice with pan ingredients several times to coat and stir frying for 2-3 minutes. You want the rice to begin to have a toasted smell, making sure that all the ingredients are constantly being moved around the pan for even cooking.
- 8If your pan seems to have cooled down to the point where the ingredients are no longer sizzling, you may need to turn the heat up slightly.
- 9Sprinkle in the sugar and add the fish sauce and oyster sauce.
- 10Stir fry all ingredients together for one minute more or until sauces are absorbed and mixture is completely combined. Transfer to serving platter.
- 11Garnish plate edge with sliced cucumber, lime wedges, and additional whole green onions if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Thai Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 954.2
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 1258.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 183.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 22.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts