Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I saw Michael make this on his cooking show, Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello. The episode was "Movable Feast".
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, small diced
- 1 red pepper, small diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup freshly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 cup freshly chopped basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated pecorino romano cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the center, leaving enough meat inside the skin so that it holds its shape when baked.
- Boil the scooped-out center part until very soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the seasoned ground beef to the pan and saute until all of its liquid is evaporated and the beef begins to brown slightly.
- Drain the beef, removing the extra, unnecessary fat.
- Let cool briefly and chop the cooked beef so that there are no large chunks of meat.
- In another medium saute pan over medium heat add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and saute the onions, peppers and garlic together.
- In a bowl mix together the cooked eggplant, vegetables, cooked beef, herbs, 1 cup of the cheese, bread crumbs, and the egg.
- Fill the scooped-out eggplant halves with this mixture, dividing it evenly among the 2 halves.
- Top with chopped tomatoes and the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese, season with salt and pepper, place on an oiled oven tray or baking dish, and bake for 50 minutes in preheated oven.
- Let cool briefly, slice widthwise and serve.
This is such a great tasting recipe. I found it a few months back while looking for a recipe with eggplant, different than eggplant parmesan. I have been making this recipe ever since, at least twice a month for my family - they absolutely love it. I love it because you can use pretty much what you have at hand, I have made it following the recipe exactly; once without the peppers and herbs (because I didn't have them at home) just adding more tomatoes, a full pound of ground beef and a small can of tomato sauce; and once with turkey ground beef and rice cheese ( my MIL is lactose intolerant). This is one recipe that I'll keep coming back to. Delicious.
WoW! This was so GOOD! Flavor was just amazing. I saw the show that Michael Chiarello gave on preparing the eggplant and I knew than I had to give the recipe a try. So I came to Zaar to see if anyone posted the recipe and sure enough, here it was :) I went ahead and used 1 pound of ground beef and I only had a yellow bell pepper so thats what I used in place of the red bell pepper. I also made my own breadcrumbs out of sour dough bread, adding seasoning salt to the crumbs. I than fellowed the recipe for the rest. I did boil the inside of the eggplant in water with a vegetable bouillon cube to give it alittle flavor. The stuffed eggplant turned out delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe :)