Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Yummy breaded sandwiches my mom made during ramadan. Can be served as an appetizer, but use a small cutter. Use different fillings if you like, next time i plan to try salami, cheese and salsa .. can be fried, baked or broiled, whatever you prefer ..
- Cut out (using a round cookie cutter) a circle out of the bread slices.
- Shred the chicken breast into small pieces.
- Prepare the sandwiches: spread with mayo, layer with chicken, tomato and lettuce.
- Press down the sandwich using your hand, this makes the next step easier.
- Dip into the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
- Be sure to cover the sides of the sandwich as well.
- Fry in a little oil until golden-brown.
- Can be baked or deep-fried as well.
This is wonderful if you deep fry the sandwiches. They remind me of an empanada, but are so much easier. I have made similar sandwiches using biscuit dough, but sliced bread is a much cheaper alternative. I used rotisserie chicken, mayonnaise, steamed broccoli, colby jack cheese, onion, garlic, and salt and pepper. They came out amazing. By the way, I crimped the edges together using a fork to seal in the ingredients before dipping in the egg wash and crumbs. I also added a dash of seasoning salt to the bread crumbs, just for added flavor. Yummmmmmy!!!
We used leftover shredded BBQ chicken as well as the other filling suggestions. I liked them and hubby LOVED them. I knew he would as soon as I saw the recipe. He is a major carb addict. I do think I would skip the biscuit cutter next time and just cut off the crusts as another reviewer did. A bigger size sandwich would be nice, and less work for more results is nice too. I would like to know more about if/why this is special for Ramadan. Did you have them other times too, or just then? Thanks for the yummy idea.
this was a great little snack for suhur (sarri) i made this the other morning for my family before sun came up, they loved it. This might not make a great meal but its perfect to breaf your fast during iftar and the best for suhur. I give it a 5/5 thanks.