Prep 3 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is our family recipe that Mom started making back in the 50's. We laugh now because Chex cereals don't come in "small boxes" anymore so we guessed to keep up with the times. This is a great Christmas tradition with our family. *Edited to reduce sodium and a tip from another Zaarian (change the flavored salts to powers).
- 4 cups Wheat Chex
- 4 cups Rice Chex
- 4 cups Corn Chex
- 4 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 4 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 lb mixed nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups oleo or 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon celery salt or 1 tablespoon celery powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix all cereals, pretzels & nuts in large roasting pan.
- Melt oleo and stir in seasonings.
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir to coat well.
- Bake in 250º oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
This is the original. I am nearly 65 and this is exactly what my mother made while I was in grade school. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you thank you thank you! This is the recipe my Grandma, a great cook, used to make for us. I didn't think I'd ever find it, but this is the one. It is SO GOOD.