Recipe by Anu
One of my mom's signature, no-fail recipes, this pudding (or kheer as it is called here in India) is really simple to make, with the most easily available ingredients (but not saffron, I agree!). Enjoy :-)
- 3 tablespoons vermicelli or 3 tablespoons spaghetti (Spaghetti makes the pudding thicker and heavier, I prefer vermicelli)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ghee or 1 teaspoon butter (Use ghee for authenticity!)
- 1 teaspoon cashews, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron (Only if you can afford it! :)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a pan on a medium-high flame and lightly roast the vermicelli.
- Add the milk and keep stirring until it boils.
- Reduce the flame to low and add the saffron.
- Stir every 5 minutes to keep the milk from getting scalded.
- In about 20 minutes, the vermicelli will be cooked.
- Add condensed milk, sugar, and stir again till it boils.
- Remove from flame.
- In a small frying pan, roast the cashewnuts in ghee; then add (along with the ghee leftover in the frying pan) to the cooked vermicelli-milk mixture.
- Pour into dessert cups and serve hot, or after cooling and chilling in the refrigerator (chilling for a few hours gives the pudding a thicker texture).