Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother has been making these for years. Our family loves them, and hope you do too. I use my mixer and dough hook to make. Thank you Chef#37636 for noticing that I forgot to put in the last part of the directions and have now included:)
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In small bowl, put 1 teaspoon of sugar, yeast, and the warm water.
- Scald the milk.
- Dump milk into large mixing bowl.
- Add margarine and salt to milk.
- Cool till warm.
- Meanwhile beat the eggs.
- Stir yeast mixture, the remaining part of sugar, and eggs into mixing bowl.
- Slowly add flour.
- Beat with dough hook until dough leaves the side of the bowl "clean".
- While the dough is being beaten, spray another large mixing bowl with cooking spray.
- Put dough into prepared mixing bowl, cover with towel, set in warm place, and let rise (varies, possibly 45 minutes).
- Sprinkle some flour onto counter top and divide the dough into 2 balls.
- Take one ball, put it on the flour, and roll it into circle about the size of a pie crust.
- Repeat with the remaining ball of dough.
- Cut both circles each into 16 wedges.
- Roll wedges into crescent rolls.
- Spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray and lay the wedges onto them.
- Cover each cookie sheet with a towel.
- Let them rise for 15-18 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.
These turned out quite well, I used half each milk and water and to speed up rising time I reduced eggs to one, I will increase the salt slightly next time just for my own taste, thanks WiGal
When I made this recipe I came to a halt during the preparation when I found there were no instructions past step 11. I finished the dough using my own knowledge of baking, and quite enjoyed what turned out. But I know they would be different from the recipe, especially as mine were not made as crescent rolls at the very least. The dough was very nice however, and I am rating based on that, and hope to sometime soon make this again with all the instructions intact. ~Lorie