Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
My mother liked to entertain when I was growing up and she gave a lot of dinner parties. This wonderful recipe was one of her favourite dishes because it could be prepared ahead of time and popped into the oven shortly before her guests arrived;and she always served it with her savoury Company Rice. I now make it for my family and friends on special occasions.
- 12 pieces chicken
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 4 slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Brown chicken in margarine in large frying pan, a few pieces at a time.
- Line a large baking dish big enough to hold chicken with aluminum foil, shiney side up.
- Place browned chicken in pan.
- Cover each chicken piece generously with margarine (I use about a 1/2 to 1 tablespoon per each piece).
- Mix the 2 tins of cream of mushroom soup and the tin of milk together and wisk until smooth.
- Pour over chicken and bake, uncovered, at 350 for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cube the 4 slices of bread and toast in margarine in frying pan with almonds until bread and almonds are nicely browned.
- Remove chicken from oven.
- Sprinkle sherry over chicken;sprinkle almonds and toasted bread cubes evenly over all.
- Return to oven, and cook for another 30- 45 minutes longer or until done (If you find the chicken getting a little dry add more sherry and milk).
Would like to try this recipe,but what is the purpose of lining the casserole with aluminum foil? Easy cleanup? I'm not comfortable using foil for this style of cooking----any suggestions anyone?