Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
We like these for breakfast and for dinner. Good for strawberry shortcake too!
Make and share this Mom's Buttermilk Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For 9 thicker biscuits, grease a square 8" or 9" pan. For 12 biscuits, grease a 10x13 pan.
- Sift dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or with a fork.
- When shortening is incorporated, add buttermilk and mix with a fork, being careful not to overmix.
- Sprinkle flour on dough board. Knead dough until smooth, no more than 8-10 times.
- For 12 biscuits, roll dough to about 5/8" thick. For 9 biscuits (8x8 pan) roll dough to about 1" thick.
- Place in pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until done. You can brush with melted butter before cooking if you like.
These biscuits came out tall, light and fluffy. However, I think it needs like 1 tablespoon or so of sugar because the taste is missing something. The other thing is that the temperature is too high. I only baked mine for 12 minutes but they came out on the burnt side. The next time, I will bake them at 375. Thanks.
First time I have had biscuits come out that I could eat and not have to give to the dogs! The recipe could not have been easier! I submitted a pic of my results and although they may not look beautiful they taste great!
I was making breakfast for our dinner on 5/6/09, and wanted to make some biscuits. So, did a search, and decided to try this recipe. And I'm so very glad I did :).As with all biscuit recipes, I always double sift the dry ingredients. To me, it seems to make the biscuits rise much higher than if you just stirred the dry ingredients. After adding the shortening, I used my fingers to blend it into the flour ( That's the way I was taught to do it ).After adding the buttermilk and mixing in, I did have to add in a bit more flour to get everything into a soft ball. As I always do, the dough was patted out instead of rolled. I think it makes for a much softer finished product.For my oven, the baking time and temp. was " right on the money " . The taste was light, airy, and just melted in your mouth.And I have to tell you, " this biscuit recipe was " WAY BETTER " than my Mom's ". This " WILL " be made again. Thank you so much for posting and " Keep Smiling :) "