Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom used to make this all the time. It came from a restaurant in New Jersey called "Pals Cabin"
Make and share this Mom Sykes' Hungarian Goulash recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs cubes beef
- 1 lb onion, sliced
- lemons, rind of or lemon, zest of
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 can beef consomme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Melt butter in large pot.
- Put in meat, paprika and onions and simmer until onions have turned clear and beef is browned on all sides.
- Add garlic and lemon zest.
- Add tomato paste and beef consume' to cover and simmer until meat is tender.
- Serve over hot noodles.
This was a very easy dish to put together. I did flour the beef lightly prior to browning, otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. The meat turned out tender and it was the first time I used lemon zest in this type of recipe. Since it did not say how much, I used all the zest of one lemon. Since I don't eat beef anymore, I relied on my male students for taste. All four thought it was very bland and needed "something" else. That said, please know that they finished every bit of it!