Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are the cut out cookies my mom and I made every year round the holidays. They're not overly buttery and good as dunking cookies. My mom always rolled the dough a bit thicker than other cut outs but I think it lends itself to being dunked in milk or coffee. She did the rolling-I did the cutting and sprinkling (no icing ever used in our house-strickly sprinkles). Give em a try-let me know what you think. Serving size is estimated as my mom would always double and triple the batch. Prep time does not include the chilling of the dough.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add beaten eggs.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet (flour mix to butter mix); mix together.
- Chill several hours or overnight (cover dough with plastic wrap).
- Use a mixture of 1 cup flour and a 1/2 cup powdered sugar to dust work surface and rolling pin.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out to desired thickness, cut out and decorate with colored sugar or jimmies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and cool on brown paper (we always used brown paper bags-cut open and laid plain (inside) side up.
- Use all scraps and re-roll dough until used up.
- Store in sealed containers.