These are the cut out cookies my mom and I made every year round the holidays. They're not overly buttery and good as dunking cookies. My mom always rolled the dough a bit thicker than other cut outs but I think it lends itself to being dunked in milk or coffee. She did the rolling-I did the cutting and sprinkling (no icing ever used in our house-strickly sprinkles). Give em a try-let me know what you think. Serving size is estimated as my mom would always double and triple the batch. Prep time does not include the chilling of the dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter and sugar.
- 2Add beaten eggs.
- 3Sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together.
- 4Add dry ingredients to wet (flour mix to butter mix); mix together.
- 5Chill several hours or overnight (cover dough with plastic wrap).
- 6Use a mixture of 1 cup flour and a 1/2 cup powdered sugar to dust work surface and rolling pin.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8Roll out to desired thickness, cut out and decorate with colored sugar or jimmies.
- 9Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 10Remove from pan and cool on brown paper (we always used brown paper bags-cut open and laid plain (inside) side up.
- 11Use all scraps and re-roll dough until used up.
- 12Store in sealed containers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom Snyder's Cut out Christmas Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.3
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 58.3 mg
- Sodium 128.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g