Recipe by Wilmom
This was a traditional breakfast, served over hot, buttered biscuits, when I was a child. It's been in our family for generations.
Top Review by Cookbook junkie 2001
So delicious. It was less floury tasting than other chocolate gravy recipes that I have tried. I used skim milk instead of whole and it turned out beautifully. It did take a bit longer to thicken but it still did. Usually, I add extra vanilla. So glad that I didn't with this recipe though. It was plenty rich as is....
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, place flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt.
- Using the back of a table spoon, crush all lumps, and stir till smooth.
- Add milk, stir till well blended.
- Turn on medium heat.
- Continue stirring till cocoa is thickened--the consistency of gravy. May add more milk, if necessary.
- Add butter and vanilla and stir well.
- Split biscuits, slather on the butter, and cover each half with cocoa. Enjoy!
- Freeze leftovers in popsicle containers. Homemade fudge sicles!