1 hr 5 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This recipe comes from the Fat free Vegan. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks scrumptious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Molten Centers
- 2/3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (dark chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup soymilk (plain or vanilla)
For The Cake
- 2 ounces spinach (fresh or frozen-include stems if you want)
- 1/4 cup soymilk (plain, vanilla or chocolate)
- 1 cup raw zucchini (fresh or frozen-course chop)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar (light or dark)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil (or other light oil)
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal (ground fine)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee (substitute)
- 1 cup spelt flour (white)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (whole)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (dark and 22-24% fat content)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350'F. Lightly spray 8 oven safe large ramekins or custard cups and place on a cookie sheet.
- 2FOR THE MOLTEN CENTER.
- 3In a small, heavy pot, combine the chips, cornstarch, and soy milk. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until the chips are melted and the texture is smooth. Turn off heat and set aside.
- 4FOR THE CAKE:.
- 5In a blender or food processor, blend together the spinach, soy milk, zucchini to a smooth puree. Add the agave, maple syrup, oil, flax, coffee substitute, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla, blend to combine. Set aside while you measure the dry ingredients, or for at least two minutes.
- 6In a large bowl, sift together the flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together to combine.
- 7Scoop about 1/4 cup of the cake batter into each ramekin, then place a large spoonful (about 2 tablespoons of filling on it (try not to touch the sides of the ramekin otherwise it will not work). Cover with more batter so that the ramekin is 2/3 full.
- 8Bake the cakes in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the edge comes out dry. The middle will remain moist, as that's where the molten filling is. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- 9Turn cakes out onto serving dishes. Serve immediately. You can garnish with fresh raspberries and vegan whipped cream if desired.
- 10You can half this recipe also.
- 11Bon Appetit!
- 12Variation: Omit the molten center and gently stir 2/3 cup chocolate chips to the batter before filling the pan. Maybe be baked as cupcakes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.3
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 278.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
non-dairy chocolate chips