Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple and quick - can be done on the grill or in the oven. I imagine it will be great in the crokpot too.
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce (use your favorite/homemade)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- Mix all ingredients except the chicken in a medium saucepan, cook on medium heat 5 minutes or until mixture bubbles and begins to darken slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Grill: Place chicken on greased grill over low coals, and grill uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes (until chicken is cooked through), turning and brushing frequently with barbecue sauce mixture.
- Oven: Combine barbecue sauce mixture in medium bowl, pour over chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish, and bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.
I thought this was really easy and quite tasty, although I changed it a little. I used 6 tbl cocoa because it didn't have enough of that "mole" taste, 2 1/2 tsp chili powder. I also added 1/2 cup milk to make the texture a little more creamy. Very yummy wrapped in tortillas!
Very easy and good recipe.I used the oven to make this. I might add some chopped onion next time.
Very yummy and fabulously easy! The sauce was great and there was a generous amount for 4 very large chicken breasts with bones and skin. Perfect with 2 teaspons chili powder. I used the oven method with good results. What a great dinner idea, it goes together in a flash yet still has loads of flavor. Thanks, Watermelon!