Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Sour milk can be used in place of buttermilk.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar for about 3-4 minutes.
- Beat in egg.
- Beat in buttermilk, molasses and vanilla.
- Gradually blend in flour mixture.
- Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips (if using).
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet, leaving about 1-1/2 inch apart.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.