1/1 Photo of Molasses Crinkles (Cookies)
My good friend Mardi made these during our Operation Baking Girls 'baking day', to ship overseas to our chosen soldier. These are very tasty, remind me of ginger snaps somewhat. Thin and crispy, perfect for fall and winter baking.
My Private Note
dozen c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger (we used 1 full teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grandma's molasses (NOT black strap or barbados molasses !!)
- granulated sugar, for sugaring tops cookie
- 1Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, pepper, and salt in a bowl until combined. Set aside.
- 2Beat together shortening, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer (preferably fitted with a paddle attachment) or 6 minutes with a handheld mixer.
- 3Add egg and molasses, beating until combined.
- 4Reduce speed to low, then mix in flour mixture (1 cup at a time, scrape down) until combined.
- 5Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 6Roll 1 heaping teaspoon of dough into a 1-inch ball WITH WET HANDS, then dip 1 end of the the ball in granulated sugar.
- 7Make more cookies in the same manner, arranging them, sugar side up, 2 inches apart on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- 8Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until undersides are golden brown, 10 - 12 minutes total.
- 9Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then remove from baking sheets and transfer to racks to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molasses Crinkles (Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.0
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 4.6 mg
- Sodium 54.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 0.5 g