Prep 24 hrs
Cook 11 mins
These cookies are big and plump and designed to be mixed up in a dishpan!
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemons, zest of
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, plus
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup light molasses
- 2 tablespoons light molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, for shaping
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large saucepan, stir together the applesauce, raisins, and lemon zest. Bring t a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the applesauce is very thick and the raisins are rehydrated, about 10 minutes; be careful not to burn. Let stand until cooled slightly. Stir in the butter, brown sugar and molasses until the butter melts and the ingredients are well blended. Stir in the egg and egg yolk and vanilla until mixed well. Stir in the flour mixture until evenly incorporated. Cover and refrigerate the dough until firm enough to handle.at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350*.Grease several baking sheets or use nonstick spray. Shape scant 1/4 cup portions of dough into balls with lightly greased hands. Place on baking sheets, spacing about 3" apart. Spread the 3 tbls of granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Grease the bottom of a drinking glass. Dipping the bottom of glass into the sugar before each cookis, press down until the rounds are about 2 1/2" in diameter ( if necessary, wipe the bottom of glass, regrease and continue. Bake the cookies, one sheet at at time, in the upper third of the oven for 11-14 minutes, or until slightly darker at the edges and just barefly firm in the centers. Reverse the sheets, from front to back, halfway through the baking to ensure even browning. Transfer the cookie sheets to wire rack and let stand 3-4 minutes until cookies firm up slightly. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze up to one month.