Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is for an old-fashioned apple pie made with molasses per a board request.
- 3⁄4 cup light molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
For Pastry for 2 crust 9 inch pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 5 -7 tablespoons cold water
- Mix the molasses, water, lemon juice and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the sliced apples and simmer until the apples are tender.
- remove the apples from the syrup.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and blend in the flour.
- Pour this into the hot syrup and simmer, stirring constantly until the syrup is smooth and thick.
- Fold the apples into the syrup.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make Pastry for 2 crust 9 inch pie by mixing shortening, salt, and flour with a fork until crumbly.
- Add 5 tablespoons water and mix well, adding more water if too dry.
- Form into a ball.
- Roll out half of it and line the pie pan, letting it hang over the edge about 1 inch.
- Fold the extra pastry over toward the middle and flute the edges with your fingers for a built up rim.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry, and cut into narrow strips for a lattice top.
- Spoon the apple syrup mixture into the pastry lined pan.
- Arrange 7 or 8 strips over the top.
- trim the ends, moisten, and press into the rim.
- Lay more strips over them.
- leaving a diamond shaped spaces, and trimming, moistening and pressing into the edge like the first ones.
- Bake the pie at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
Steve this is IT!!!! Very sweet but exactly like my childhood memories. I changed the pastry enough to make a 9x13 pan rather than a regular pie plate...like gram did. Very good.
Good yet surprisingly not as sweet as we were expecting. This is definitely a pie to have a la mode. A good vanilla ice cream dabbed on top made it PERFECT!