Recipe by Sharon123
Submitted by Diane Sparrow, Osage, IA, a 2009 Finalist in the National Chicken Cooking contest put on by the National Chicken Council, representing the West North Central region. Yum!
Top Review by Jostlori
Yum, this was delish! I made this for my family that was visiting and everyone loved it - young and old. Although the rice was very good, I can see myself making just the chicken by itself - it was moist and flavorful. A bit involved to make, but worth the effort. Thanks for posting!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus 1/4 cup divided
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3⁄4-1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (with the broth to equal 2 cups)
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup chicken broth (with the milk to equal 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2 medium ripe plantains
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- lime slice
- mint sprig
- toasted coconut
- 1 small red Thai peppers or 1 small other hot red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large sealable plastic bag, place olive oil, 3 tablespoons lime juice, lime zest, garlic, jalapeno and ginger. Add chicken and marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over medium high heat, place coconut milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add remaining 1/4 cup lime juice and salt. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat and cook 30-50 minutes, until done.(You might start with the lowest amount of liquids, cooking time varies).
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with jerk seasoning and place on broiler pan. Place under hot broiler about 8 inches from heat.
- Cook about 8 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- While chicken cooks, in medium skillet over medium high heat, place 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil. Peel plantains and cut in 1/2 inch thick slices. Fry in hot oil about 1-1/2 minutes per side, pushing down with back of spatula to flatten. When browned, remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Cut each slice into quarters, leaving a few whole for garnish.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Add green onions and cook until soft. Stir in cooked rice, pineapple and soy sauce. Add chopped mint and cut plantains.
- Place rice and chicken on serving dish, top with reserved fried plantains. Pour some of the Lime-Coconut Sauce over top and pass remainder in a small bowl. Garnish with lime slices, toasted coconut, red peppers, and mint sprigs. Enjoy!
- Lime-Coconut Sauce: In small saucepan, place unsweetened coconut milk, brown sugar, grated lime zest, dark rum, fresh lime juice and kosher salt. Place over medium high heat and stir until hot.