1/2 Photos of Mojito Chicken With Plantain Fried Rice
1 hr 30 mins
Submitted by Diane Sparrow, Osage, IA, a 2009 Finalist in the National Chicken Cooking contest put on by the National Chicken Council, representing the West North Central region. Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus 1/4 cup divided
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3/4-1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (with the broth to equal 2 cups)
- 1 -1 1/4 cup chicken broth (with the milk to equal 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2 medium ripe plantains
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1In large sealable plastic bag, place olive oil, 3 tablespoons lime juice, lime zest, garlic, jalapeno and ginger. Add chicken and marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over medium high heat, place coconut milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add remaining 1/4 cup lime juice and salt. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat and cook 30-50 minutes, until done.(You might start with the lowest amount of liquids, cooking time varies).
- 3Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with jerk seasoning and place on broiler pan. Place under hot broiler about 8 inches from heat.
- 4Cook about 8 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- 5While chicken cooks, in medium skillet over medium high heat, place 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil. Peel plantains and cut in 1/2 inch thick slices. Fry in hot oil about 1-1/2 minutes per side, pushing down with back of spatula to flatten. When browned, remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Cut each slice into quarters, leaving a few whole for garnish.
- 6Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Add green onions and cook until soft. Stir in cooked rice, pineapple and soy sauce. Add chopped mint and cut plantains.
- 7Place rice and chicken on serving dish, top with reserved fried plantains. Pour some of the Lime-Coconut Sauce over top and pass remainder in a small bowl. Garnish with lime slices, toasted coconut, red peppers, and mint sprigs. Enjoy!
- 8Lime-Coconut Sauce: In small saucepan, place unsweetened coconut milk, brown sugar, grated lime zest, dark rum, fresh lime juice and kosher salt. Place over medium high heat and stir until hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mojito Chicken With Plantain Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 923.6
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 1290.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 34.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: