Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
By Jennifer McGavin. These Poppy Seed Rolls are an Austrian specialty, often served with coffee or brunch. There are just a few options offered in making these great rolls, which stretches the instructions to the point that it appears rather complicated. But it's not a complicated recipe.
- 226.79 g poppy seeds
- 118.29 ml milk
- 103.53 ml butter
- 103.53 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract or 14.79 ml vanilla sugar
- 0.59 ml salt
- 14.79 ml rum
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 1 teaspooon fresh lemon zest
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 1005.50 ml all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 11.09 ml instant yeast
- 73.94 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml lukewarm milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 14.79 ml water
- 14.79 ml poppy seed
- To Make the Filling: Grind the poppy seeds. You may use a mill or grinder, or grind it in several batches in a coffee grinder. Grind them for 1 - 2 minutes or until they are cracked and become darker and oily looking.
- Mix together the milk, butter, sugar, vanilla, salt, rum, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, then remove from heat and cool.
- To Make the Dough: *This recipe calls for instant yeast. If you are using regular dry yeast, mix it with part of the lukewarm milk and let it sit for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Add with the milk to the dry ingredients and proceed as usual. If you wish to use fresh yeast, use a cake (20 - 30 grams) and dissolve in the milk prior to mixing with the flour.
- Mix the flour, instant yeast*, sugar and salt in a bowl. Melt butter and milk together, cool to lukewarm.
- Add the milk, butter and egg to the flour and work (mix, then knead) it into a smooth dough. Knead for about 5 minutes, then form it into a ball, dust it with flour and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To Form Braided Rolls: Divide dough in half, then cut each into six equal pieces each.
- Roll out each piece to about 2 by 6 inches on a lightly floured surface. Place about 2 tablespoons of poppy seed filling down the center of each piece, lengthwise. Fold the dough lengthwise around the filling and pinch closed to form a rope. Roll this rope a little longer by rocking it back and forth with your hands.
- Twist two filled ropes together and then form them into a ring, pinching the ends closed so that the ring does not untwist in the oven.
- Repeat to make six rolls. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Mix the egg yolk and water together, and brush it over the rolls. Sprinkle poppy seeds on top.
- Bake the rolls as soon as you finish making all of them (no further rise) for 25 to 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350° after 5 - 10 minutes baking time, and turn the baking sheet about half-way through for even baking.
Very very good! And it wasn't difficult to make. I wasn't sure when to incorporate the poppy seeds so I added them during step 2. I did have some difficulty getting to dough to seal around the mixture (just me I'm sure as it's happened in other recipes, too). It didn't seem to detract from the final product, though. Thank you for sharing. Made for PRMR tag