Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Monfongo is made by mashing tostones (twice fried plantains) with garlic, olive oil, and chicarrones or bacon.
- First make tostones: Cut plantains in wedges. Fry until tender. Flaten with a "tostonera" or with a second cutting board. Fry for a second time, until light golden.
- Using a mortar, crush garlic cloves and add adobo.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the garlic/adobo paste, olive oil and chicharron or bacon.
- Mash the tostones, a few at a time (never use a food processor!).
- Add some of the garlic mixture.
- Mash tostones in separate bowls. This will allow the garlic mixture to spread evenly.
- If too dry, add more oil.
- Shape like small balls.
- Serve with pork meat, soups, seafood or solo.