Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a variation of Swiss Steak using hamburger. I made a Swiss steak recipe with both chuck steak and hamburger since that's what was in the freezer. The hamburger part actually turned out better. Give it a try.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Form beef into 4 large round patties. (It's fine to use frozen.).
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven on top of the stove.
- Brown the patties on both sides and then remove from the pan. You may need to do this in two batches.
- Add the onion and cook about 5 minute.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook another minute.
- Add the tomato paste and flour and cook another minute.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, chicken broth and parsley and bring to a boil.
- Put the browned beef patties back into the pan and cover.
- Put in the oven and bake until beef is cooked through. This will be about 2 hours for fresh hamburger or 3-4 hours if it was frozen.