1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Sassy in da South's Note:
Everyone has probably heard of Colonel Sanders of Ky Fried Chicken. However, this is one of his wife's recipes that is served at Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville, KY. This is the only way I will eat eggplant and I absolutely love it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the eggplant about 8 hours in salted water.
- 2Remove eggplant pieces from the water in which they have soaked.
- 3In cooking pot, cover eggplant with fresh, slightly salted water and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- 4Drain in colander.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Line bottom of 2-quart casserole with 1/3 of the saltine cracker crumbs.
- 7Cover with 2 cups of eggplant.
- 8Season with half the salt and pepper.
- 9Cut half the butter into small pieces and sprinkle on top.
- 10Cover this with half of the remaining saltine cracker crumbs.
- 11Add remaining 2 cups of eggplant.
- 12Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- 13Cover top with remaining saltine cracker crumbs.
- 14Cut remaining butter into small pieces and sprinkle on top.
- 15Pour in enough half & half to cover (may not take entire pint).
- 16Bake for 1 hour or until top layer is brown.
Browse Our Top Oven Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mock Oysters/Eggplant Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.8
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.7 mg
- Sodium 1008.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 8.5 g