Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Everyone has probably heard of Colonel Sanders of Ky Fried Chicken. However, this is one of his wife's recipes that is served at Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville, KY. This is the only way I will eat eggplant and I absolutely love it!
- Soak the eggplant about 8 hours in salted water.
- Remove eggplant pieces from the water in which they have soaked.
- In cooking pot, cover eggplant with fresh, slightly salted water and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Drain in colander.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line bottom of 2-quart casserole with 1/3 of the saltine cracker crumbs.
- Cover with 2 cups of eggplant.
- Season with half the salt and pepper.
- Cut half the butter into small pieces and sprinkle on top.
- Cover this with half of the remaining saltine cracker crumbs.
- Add remaining 2 cups of eggplant.
- Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Cover top with remaining saltine cracker crumbs.
- Cut remaining butter into small pieces and sprinkle on top.
- Pour in enough half & half to cover (may not take entire pint).
- Bake for 1 hour or until top layer is brown.