Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt over hot (not boiling) water, 1/2 cup chocolate morsels.
- Stir until smooth; cool to room temperature. In small cup dissolve instant coffee in boiling water; set aside.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl combine margarine, sugar, brown sugar and coffee; beat until creamy.
- Add egg and melted chips; mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture, stir in remaining chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
I have been making these cookies for Christmas for many years. We love them. I was about to post the recipe when I saw that Tonkcats had already done so. Thanks.
My DH thought these were the best of the best!! Double chocolate!! he said, and I must say they smelled out of this world!! Even though I can't eat them, with a reaction like that from DH they deserve at least a 5*!! I got 46 cookies and I used veggie shortening, I will be making these again, before Christmas unless I can find a hideing place!!! than ks for posting.
My husband would give these a 5, I'm sure, but my issue was HOLY COW they are so SWEET! I had a sore mouth after eating two. They were super-easy and fast to bake. NExt time I think I might reduce the amount of sugar (maybe to half) and up the nuts, but I'll chop them more finely next time so they mix better through--Lots of my cookies turned out to be walnut-free (and I love walnuts). Thanks for the really interesting combination of flavours!)